Friday, March 30, 2012

A Bold Prediction for 2012

Do you remember this Phillip Wellman meltdown from 2007? 



It's been a while since we've seen anything like this. Odds are, we're due. So, yes, I'm predicting we see an epic meltdown by the end of the 2012 season. Truly, there many potential candidates: Manny. Hamilton. The Beard. Papelbon. Tony Plush. Gardy. Does Milton Bradley still play?

But, for my money, it comes from one of these two places:

Miami.
Detroit.


Seriously.
The Fish are either going to be untouchable or a total train wreck -- I haven't decided what I think yet, but I'm leaning toward wreckage. There hasn't been as much 'dream team' buzz as there was when they were in the hunt for Pujols, which is good news for them. (We all know how dream teams end, right Philly fans?) But there is still a massive burden on them to win big and do it now.

Big off-season moves, a make-it-rain approach to the payroll, and a flashy new stadium with an aquarium back stop = big pressure. Add to this tension big egos and famously volatile personalities = big trouble. Ozzie and Hanley and Zambrano? There's just no way that can end well. Yes Ozzie handled one oversensitive, overgrown baby (cough,Pierzinski) quite well in his own fucking nutty way, but, I don't know... throw Zambrano into the mix and all bets are off. I see trouble, that's all I'm saying.

And then there's Detroit. Don't get me wrong, I like Detroit and I do not want them to implode. I do think they were insane to sign Fielder for nine years, but he is not at all from where I worry the meltdown might come. I mean, not Fielder himself. I imagine a Fielder meltdown ending in giggles and hugs. So, not Fielder himself, but definitely incited by bringing him there. I'll give you a hint: his name rhymes with Ciguel Mabrera. If there was an option in fantasy to pick most-likely-to-provide-the-youtube-mlb-moment-of-2012, I would take him #1.

Ciao, buddies.
-christine


p.s., They tested that bulletproof aquarium glass by having Gaby Sanchez throw balls at it. Fine, but how do you think it will hold up after Carlos Zambrano inevitably takes a bat to it?

p.s.s,
Is there something about playing for Ozzie Guillen that makes dudes dye their hair yellow? Bad. Boo.        

No comments:

Post a Comment