Friday, March 9, 2012

Blogging About Blogs: My Approach to the Madness


There are millions of sports blogs. Thousands just about baseball and many awesome Twins-talking blogs. I wish I had the time to read them all, but if I want any hope of getting anything done ever (like my own baseball blog... how meta, I know!), I try very hard to limit my blog intake to just these. Well, and Twitter and Bleacher Report and ESPN and the MLB network and Yardbarker... sigh.

Try these:

Fifty Rows Up by C Lee Tressel
This (sports in general) blogger is a friend, a wonderful writer and just as lovely of a person, and the best kind of sports writer : she knows it all without being a know-it-all. She can write about any and all sports, can translate the every day moments into a larger-picture significance that makes each post feel like a life lesson. She writes often, yet every post shows a keen thoughtfulness and craft that seems impossible to turn around so quickly... unless you know her, in which case you know that is just how her mind works.

Knuckleballs (Like Butterflies with Hiccups)
A Twins-centric, collective blog, hosted by three smarty-pants baseball fans, one of whom is my cousin ("capitalbabs"). Oddly enough, I haven't actually seen her in many years, but thanks to the faceplace and tweet machine and the blogging, I think we're nearly as connected as we were in my favorite memory of us, which is a blurry scene in my mind involving a tent in, I think, her front yard, a flashlight, and The Tell-Tale Heart. She read, I gasped. I don't think I got any sleep that night, wherever we were, but, hellsyeah, it was awesome.


Aaron Gleeman
A one-stop-shop go to for every happening in and around Twins Territory (and essentially every territory ever, from podcasts and TV and Jay-Z and recipes to Souhan and SABR and comedians and Kenny Powers. Gleeman also seems to be as fond of/appalled by Ozzie Guillen as I am, which is fun. BEWARE: The 'link-o-rama" will time-suck your life away.)

Babes Love Baseball
Witty chicks talking about baseball. Season preview poems, great pics, gossip, snark, perfect. Plus, via Babes, you can find a list of other lady baseball bloggers. Go, grrrls.


And then there is, of course, the late, great Bat-Girl blog -- my first blog obsession and still the best baseball blog ever. Ever! It's also the first, and hopefully only, blog about which the news of its closing actually made me cry. This blog, and it's author (whom I now very proudly know and get to spend time with in real life) is also responsible for one of the most embarrassing moments in my professional life when I LOUDLY Bieber-screamed upon finding out we were hiring her as a new faculty member. I just sputtered "bat girl? are you serious? BAT GIRL! shut up!" for five minutes until the dean told me I should maybe go take a walk.


I've missed dozens, I know. Please feel free to comment and share them-- if not for me, for others. Won't somebody please think of the children.

Ciao, buddies!
-christine

P.S.,  BATGIRL is on Twitter! Just as sassy and smart, only in limited characters. @twinsbatgirl
 
P.P.S. Glen Perkins is the funniest of the Twins who tweet, by the way. Perhaps an upcoming post with tweet faves...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment