Sunday, April 3, 2011

Everything in Its Right Place

The fever and frenzy of opening weekend is under our collective belts and, once we open the home season on Friday, we will start to settle in to the trusted constancy -- dare I say, ordinariness -- of baseball season in all its enduring glory. I say ordinary in the best possible context; the steady consistency of daily ballgames is nothing short of sacrosanct for me. For many, I'm sure.

I can already feel my productivity level accelerating. I kind of forgot, until about the 2nd inning today, how well I work to the so sweet melody of baseball talk. TV or radio, Twins or Tigers, Baseball Tonight or Quick Pitch, it really works for me. 8 out of 10 writers agree.

The Twins had a productive day today as well. And thank the sweet lord for that. It was getting a little groan-worthy there, wasn't it? It kind of felt like a big win to me today; nothing to do with standings or whatever, it is far too early for any of that hand-wringing, but because you could actually see the boys waking up a little. I was worried they weren't aware the season had actually started and were thinking this was some kind of ceremonial border-battle exhibition or something.

So, phew.


Speaking of phew, I also kind of forgot how stressful it is to watch Nathan close a tight game.
Punishing. Yet, invigorating. That boy is sweatier than a whore in church. (Yup, a Sookie Stackhouse-ism. And it might not be my last. Deal with it.)

Other high-on-the-hottie-meter news from opening weekend:

-- Matt Kemp is off to blistering start. I bet he has a big year.

-- Evan Longoria on the DL for an oblique strain, the injury du jour of 2011.

-- Brian Wilson threw a simulated game and looked good (really fucking good) and should see some action soon.




Next up: Yankees. Oh, goody. And by goody, I mean, ack.

p.s., it sounds like people are having issues with commenting. A tip: if you don't have an account with one of the sites listed as an option (google the most popular) and don't want to create one, you can post as anonymous. Just make sure to select that option.

6 comments:

  1. MaurerSpelledRightApril 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

    Those aren't exactly panty lines Brian's sportin' in that picture. Just sayin'.

    Keep posting, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no good to have in the room when Nathan's on the mound. I've never been good when it's a save situation, but when he's working I have to go do something else, empty the dishwasher or repot a plant or sumpin.

    And Tracey, c'mon! I just sent my daughter the link to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said daughter is not a child, of course, and will no doubt appreciate the, um, appreciation of Wilson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O, Marsha, thanks for the second message. I panicked there for a second-- I don't expect this blog to be exactly PG rated.

    Good eye, MauererSpelledRight. I was wondering if anyone would spot that. : )
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be in the dark, but I don't know this Wilson dude?? But I like what I see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll tell you all about Wilson, including my theory that all this time Charlie Sheen has just been doing an extended Brian Wilson impression, which is part Wild Thing Rick Vaughn in it's origin. Amazing, I know.

    ReplyDelete