Monday, September 24, 2012

Wake Up, Kids, We're Here

And just like that, my stretch of general boredom with baseball has all but waned. There is some exciting stuff happening as the playoff races narrow, even here in the AL central (GO DETROIT). Actually, really here in the AL central as the Yankees come to town, neck and neck in the AL east with Baltimore, and neck and neck with Texas in the wild card race.

COME ON, Twins, do your part as spoiler. Do it for Baltimore. Do it for Jim Thome. Do it for Cal Ripken Jr. and his baby blues. Do it for Torrey Smith and his brother. Do it for Bodie and Poot. I'm serious.

Do you know other thing that happens this time of year that revives my baseball heart?

It's Major League season.

Really, check your local listings, I bet it's on sometime soon or even right now. Have I ever told you how much I love Major League?  I LOVE MAJOR LEAGUE.

Especially you, Wild Thing Rick Vaughn with your furious power and dubious vision. And, you, Jake Taylor and your creative problem solving and nervy, dare I say ballsy, grit. O no, I haven't forgotten you, Peee-dro Cerrano, and your mystical Jobu and your rum and your big, beautiful... bat. And its hat.

You know what else I love? These lines:

"Look at this fucking guy."

"Well you may run like Mays, but you hit like shit"

"I look like a banker on this."

"Just a bit outside" and "He tried the outside corner and missed" and "Ball 8!"

"How's your wife and my kid?"

"Up your butt, Jobu."

"I guess there's only one thing to do... win the whole fucking thing."

"And the Indians win it, the Indians win it, oh my god, the Indians win it!"

and, my favorite, performed by my cat, Doug:




Ciao, buddies.
-christine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment