Monday, July 2, 2012

Bad Apples: How the Number 23 is Ruined for Me Forever

I don't know about you, but I cringed a little when I heard Mauer would be the lonely Twins cowboy saddling up for Kansas City next week. And not because I don't think he deserves to be there -- not for a  hot second.  No, I cringed because, before I could even finish reading the tweet, I could already hear the haters getting their hate on. 

And hate on they did. It was predictable and silly, and also
nicely handled in this Twins Daily piece that I totally agree with and will let (along with all kinds of other more recent articles, finally!) provide all of the statistical analysis needed to prove the very no shit! point that hating on Mauer this season is so ridic ridiculous that I'm totes going to use the whole word.

But I still find myself with something to say. 


All of this Mauer hating this season has been just mind-boggling to me. And very sad. I'm embarrassed -- not so much about the tweets or the derivative, simplistic local columns that shaped the narrative in 2011 (sports guy writes it, blogger tweets it, 10 more retweet that and the next thing you know "everyone thinks it" and then somehow everyone thinks it. and so on.) that has somehow carried over to 2012 -- because that is just sort of how it goes these days. It's the Twins fans booing him at Target Field that I just cannot abide. 



Damn, really? That guy with the backwards hat and the popped collars is booing me? He's wearing loafers. Loafers!

First of all ... why? 


If you think Mauer is the problem this season, so much that you need to actually boo your own guy at home, you are just awful at being a baseball fan and you should probably either try to pay closer attention or maybe this just isn't the sport for you.



Second of all ... why? 

When did we start doing this, anyway? When did we turn into dick fans like this? Our own hometown boy, four time all-star, three time batting champion, AL MVP catcher has one bad season and we just turn on him?
It's hard to even believe. It really is. I've always been proud to be a Twins fan; I've brought other people to the game on a promise that Twins fans are great, loyal, smart fans. (And I do know it's getting better and that, for the most part, we are still great, loyal and smart fans... it's that whole a few bad apples ruining the bushel thing happening here. I just think these apples really suck.)


Everything comes back to that damn 23 million. I've mentioned before that I am not a fan of conversations about players' salaries -- all of this shit is precisely why. I wish all of the numbers just stayed in the front office. 

It creeps me out to hear people sit around and discuss a person's worth --
like we, as spectators, can somehow determine that. Every move Mauer makes, on and off the field, is held up against this number in a game where those numbers are all so overblown and insane that focusing on any one, or twenty three, of them only leads to these small, jealous apples who you think that they can actually say, half a season into the second year of a guy's 8 year contract, if he is "worth it." Gross.

So, yeah, enough of that. I know I'll be cheering on Mauer with all my might next Tuesday. He might be our only guy, but he's our guy. So there.


Ciao, buddies.
-christine
     


No comments:

Post a Comment